A dangerous kissing bug is pacing its way across the U.S. and threatens human and pet health. Last year in summer, a Delaware girl was watching television, while a bloodsucking insect bit her on the face. According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, it is the first determined identification of the bug in the state. Bite of the insect can spread the fatal disease. Triatoma sanguisuga, the affected girl, calls it as a kissing bug because it generally bites around the eyes and mouth. It can transmit a bloodsucker virus, Trypanosoma cruzi, which may lead to Chagas disease. Fatal disease may trigger cardiac and gastrointestinal complications.
As per CDC reports on Thursday, the girl and her family approached the local DOH and Department of Agriculture for helping to identify the creature. Both agencies were bothered about the probable disease transfer from the insect. CDC’s report reveal the bite has no adverse impact on the girl’s body. As per the agency, the bug was present in Delaware at the time. But there is a lack of proof revealing bug’s presence in Trypanosoma cruzi in the state. Last year, in September, the CDC cautioned about insect’s presence in Virginia, Pennsylvania and Maryland, Delaware. The CDC guesses around 300,000 Americans are surviving with Chagas disease.
Besides, 8 million people across the world have it. Scientists expect the number of infected people may rise due along with changing the climate. Even more, those kissing bug infections can spread from mother-to-baby. They can spread via contaminated blood products, organ transplants. In the case of U.S. patients, most of the cases have ties with other countries. Only a few cases of Chagas disease have U.S. origins. According to the CDC, the kissing bugs are mostly in the southern half of the nation. To avoid the infection the agency suggests sealing gaps and openings around walls, roofs, doors, and windows. If anyone suspect of founding the kissing bug, the CDC asks to store it. Though, people can freeze it in water or put it into a container filled with rubbing alcohol. After that, one can report to the nearest local health department.